Skip to main content

Gray Epilogue



What happens when a man is pushed to his limits of agony? How the world has brutally bruised the emotions of the weaker people? 

"Gray Epilogue" is the brief view and thoughts of an old person who goes through some dark days of his life.


The story takes you through his pain and the unfortunate decision that he takes because of the fix that he had fallen into during the last days of life.


Click here to download the doc file to read offline.

The Gray Epilogue

“Yes, I have decided and there is no going back. I have taken a stern decision, an outcome of a conflict between my helplessness and fate. My whole life changed within a week, upside down just that there were no upsides to it anyways.

The loud pounding beats of my heart is running to the never-ending stride of the hands in the round grey clock. The time machine that never turned back time, which I wished it could, sat near the pile of sleeping pills on the table

Rarely on the offending summer heat, a mildly warm breeze flew in through the windowpane. Like an uninvited guest, it whispered hymns in my ears. I felt as if it was Death itself guiding me to Him. As the windows creaked open, letting in some faint rays of the sun almost merging into the depths of the unfathomable ocean, a vision of the outside world caught my eyes. I peeped into the realities that lay outside.

They say when we become old we lose the ability to see bit by bit. But for me, I started to see the world in its true colors as time passed closer to my end. I began to see things more clearly, more vividly, and deeper. I saw people and the animal we are.

I placed my glasses after cleaning the lens with a piece of my tee that was still dry. I am not sure whether it’s the tension or the age showing up, because I was sweating heavily. After a bit of loitering around, my eyes rested at a garden with a little girl. 

She was cute and adorable with her tiny hands. She was totally in her own world, playing in the mud, dirt all over her. The world is not the same as it was before, not anymore. This new era of the human race is too dangerous for the little girl. Hell is a better place to walk upon.

Mary also did tie her hair up in a ponytail like that when she was a kid like this. Two weeks before, she tied her head in a ponytail. For a twenty-three-year-old girl, my daughter looked the same as she was during her toddler days.

After her birth, her mother and my wife left us both alone. I always thought she would have been there with a handful of dirt and eyes filled with tears when they lowered my coffin into the pit. Even though I wouldn’t know. I always believed she would be there.

Never in my life, ever did I think that it would be the other way around. For the twenty-three years, I raised her alone only to see her torn apart by a bunch of goons in front of me. She was my daughter. She was raped in front of me where I lay helpless, dead in her cries.

Someone called. The little girl hurried into her house as my already blurred eyes became more blurred with the tears of remorse. Once more I took the glasses off to wipe my tears and noticed that the sleeping pills on the table were still unattended.

Again I started to go down the memory lane, to think about my daughter. I questioned myself about certain things I couldn’t understand. I asked questions without knowing who had the answers to all my queries.

Maybe Death could find me the answers which mortals might find it hard to fathom. I asked Death. I asked why she was born if this was her destiny. I asked wh my baby turned into a helpless girl rather than a dominating primate like a man. I asked why I lived enough to see her die.

Why? I asked Why. I could feel Death avoiding my questions through the serene silence around me in that dark room. Death, the immortal being that leads us to the end of this mortal peril. I have heard people ponder over the afterlife and existence of heaven and hell.

I don’t believe in that. I never cared to believe in anything. If at all, on what grounds were the rules set to humans to be a heaven material or the other? As far as I know, all humans have both good and bad in them.

If there were percentages to decide, I would like to know the desired percentage. I used to tease my daughter talking like this. She was more of a biblical person. I never believed in that, she would have lost the belief when she was in her last breaths. My kid would have understood me. I never stood a chance to ask.

The day was getting darker or maybe it’s the night becoming lighter. My loud heartbeats sang the song for the awaiting last cause. I have already written my will and it might have reached my lawyer’s office by now. It will stop my long lost relatives fighting over whatever I leave behind.

I took the sleeping pills. My hands are trembling more than ever now. It was worse than what I expected it to be. Hesitation just ticked the clock away, it was never going to turn back time. I was aware of that.

About half a glass of pure water followed the sleeping pills into my stomach. The pain receding into my heart started to spread all over the body. I felt a warm embrace upon me. It might be probably death holding me close to him. His hold was becoming tighter and it suffocated me more each second, each heartbeat.

I slept there peacefully. I found the solution to all my problems until then. Death. I died for I am ashamed of being alive.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Thoughts on Love

Love     The epic rush of butterflies inside the stomach or the pounding heartbeats within the freedom of the ribcage. Poets have penned down that innate feeling we experience regarding everything we know from the moon to the rain. Nothing can define that special feeling of falling in love, and it is probably the only fall we never want to recover from in our life.     What is Love? Is it the teens holding hands, or just the bride kissing the groom in a well-lit hall? Here and there, everything is love. So, let us traverse through the lifetime of an average human and see where exactly does love happen.     Life starts with birth when a human forms inside the mother's belly. In biology classes, you might have learned that reproduction starts with sex, and ironically, the act is also termed as 'making love'. So, that is the first instance of love which we will pass once again in the circle of life.     A baby born into the world is first hande...

Where Lilies Fall

Where Lilies fall.                  “Joseph, make sure that the arch can stand the wind. Be careful.” Kevin requested the decoration supervisor as he entered the vibrant hall. It was lit with chandeliers and warm lanterns everywhere.                 Xavier’s recreational hall was getting ready for another event for the dusk. Facing the white-sand shores of the Indian Ocean, the place was breathtakingly beautiful.                 The guests were slowly pouring in and Hailey, the golden retriever, distinguished Kevin’s cologne and followed his footsteps. He stopped and gave her a ruffle over the head, as the tail wagged and ears bent backward highlighting her puppy eyes.                ...

What makes an author?

According to me, a writer is someone who can encapsulate the emotions of the human mind and deliver the required hormonal rush to the brain cells of a reader through his magical alignment of molded words that take birth in his imagination and creativity. To recognize the efforts of all the writers from the one-liners to the great authors, each important and unique to the world of words. Thank you all. Check out my Instagram page for more info! Chat with me on my Facebook page!

A debt that kills - EP 01

June 19. Happy Reading Day. On this auspicious day for a reader, I am happily introducing a new story in front of you which will be a series with episodes every week until the end. The genre of the story is a raw drama with slight suspense. It is the story of a retired police officer called back to do a small job in a prison as a favor. Read and enjoy and wait for the upcoming episodes. A Debt that kills -Sreeju  Episode 1: Taking duty.                The gate of the prison was heavily guarded than usual for an evening. Even though Muthukumaran hasn’t worked at one before, he knew the place from his brief visits during his service. He noticed there was a huge crowd of cameras and mics across the barrier. ‘It might be some sensational case.’ He thought.             At the gate, he introduced himself and handed over an envelope. He was welcomed inside suddenly but the reaction of the c...

My Thoughts on Life

LIFE      What is Life? This is a question that has befuddled my thoughts through many nights when stars were there and not. I say it is special, simply special .      Think of the events from the beginning and we can see how marvellous the journey has been from a single primordial atom exploding from a point to the ever-expanding universe in which we are thriving in today. It blows my mind to think that we exist, in flesh and bones, with consciousness in a timeline of billions of years.      Interesting, Isn't it? To think about the way we reached here and the process through which the journey has reached here as it is now? Fascinating. Now, let us return to the question raised in the beginning. What is Life? W ell, this question depends on the person you are asking it to, in general.     An engineer would say life is about inventing new things and making our lifestyle easier on the earth. A doctor would get absorbed with the im...

Time Machine

Taped into some old music, It's been long since we talked in rest. I remember the last time, It didn't turn out to be the best. We had our differences, I knew But we talked through it, u should know U said you liked movies a lot, with pop and flakes I said I'll stay up until 2am, if that's what it takes. Am at the top of the world, girl When you said that, you'll be mine. Now look at me, I'm under the hell But you still say that we a dream. Look at us, babe, through your heart You can lie to me in a pale old morning But you know deep inside, when the dusk is falling, That you and I are meant to be, in a wedding. I said I'll wait, for another eternity Even if it means there is no sure reality, Money, looks, personality? I never understood what I lacked to rectify. I don't wanna put you through that You said as you hung up on me Leaving me alone just like that I wish you came back to check on me. Days passed, years rolled, time changed We met again at a sh...

An Innocent Canvass

An Innocent Canvass Life starts when you are born and education starts at school. Well, it is a myth if u ask me because education also starts from the moment we are born. It is rightly said that home is where we pick up habits, and knowledge too. That's why the nature of parents can determine whether the kid becomes a human or the enemy of the world. Mind you, this conversation ahead might not apprehend the absolute logic of a child's brain work but my intention is simply to look at things with a child's innocence and find some answers you were having trouble finding before. Hope you find it interesting. "A... B... C... D... E... F... G... H... I don't know what comes after that" Little Lenin sounded confused. "Come on now, son, study well for we are spending so much money on that." his mother expressed her worries. "Are you worried about my education or just about the money, mother?" the boy asked without any intentional prejudice. "...

A Letter to Mankind

A Letter to Mankind Time changes. Time heals. We are all aware of the nuances of time and its linearity in our life. It is no surprise that indirectly time is not only an essence of life but also a requirement like air, water, and food. And we saw the diversity of time and the extent of its effect on changes in 2020. It started somewhere in the ending months of 2019. Like Global warming and Pollution, we left the new danger unheeded with our careless attitude to nature, as we always do. Some people take a stand to say that Corona and its spread made some positive remarks on our lifestyle and the world around us. But it is hard to find those minute joy impending over the mass destruction of life and livelihood, it had presented in its course, and still going on. Maybe a Chinese bio-war or a medical experiment went wrong, or probably the mistake of the hungry guy who ate the bat with the virus. No one knows, and will never know, how it all started. But one thing is for sure, it happened ...

Career: A Happiness Project!

Career     If not anything, most of the youngsters in India are blessed with more than one turning point in his/her life that many of them end up in a loop after turning too much , one after another.     Right after finishing the Tenth Board exams, we again take another turn during the Plus Two board exams. Some get a brief rest after that but prayers for those students who pursue Engineering or Medicine, it's the Wayanad pass for them ahead; from the entrance exams forward, every semester is a turning point.     After an average of 15-18 years of toil in education, a graduate finally thinks the struggle is over for them. And a distant voice shouts 'Hold them horses, the fun ain't started yet, kid'. Their first interview, the first job, the second one, and the promotion, etc are all turning points.     The person stands confused because the hero in the movies had so much time to woo the heroine, party with friends, and dance in the streets at leas...

The Big Red Dot

A house is a building with cement and bricks that provide shelter while a home is a place where a family thrives in peace and harmony.  The bond that holds the family together is the soul that lives selflessly for the happiness of the lives inside the home and their love towards each other. Here I depict one of the many mornings that a common housewife goes through in her second life at her new home. Her efforts and struggles which are not that appreciated in time is being tried by my little knowledge here to my thought's extent. I hope you enjoy it, live with it, and endure it. To all mothers in the world. Love you Amma ❤️ The Big Red Dot The brisk silence of the crawling dawn weighed upon the thick coat of the floating moonlight around the lazy shrubs. Even the noble red-crowned cock was hard asleep in his own warm bundle of hay. Clocks didn’t whistle, windows didn’t creek, clouds didn’t complain. The night remained still, in stealth and silence; like a calm pr...